You already know you should be eating healthy food everyday, and that your health is important, but how do you do it? First, you need to know what healthy eating looks like, and then make the best food choices.
Start With Healthy Food Choices
Start with a conscious effort to be aware of the decisions you are making about what you are eating. It may not be so easy to change old habits, but after a while, better choices will come naturally.
1. Fruits and vegetables cover half the plate
- Eat as many fresh vegetables and fruits as you can, and think about color when you purchase them. You’ll be getting the vitamins, minerals, and fiber your body needs when you have a colorful plate of vegetables and fruits.
- Use fruits as main courses, side dishes, or desserts.
- Eating plenty of vegetables ensures a clean liver, one of the most important organs of your body.
2. Eat whole grains
- Make the switch from refined grains to whole grains in everything you eat, including breads, cereals, and rice. Read the ingredients, because many products that tout themselves as made with whole grains will lead you astray.
- When grains are processed the nutrients, minerals, and vitamins are processed away, leaving you with nothing but empty calories.
3. Drink water
- Here’s the test: first stop watering your plants and see how they look. That’s how the cells of your body look without water!
- Next: just before they die, start giving them sodas and sugary drinks to see how healthy they get.
- Kick that stuff out of your diet and be sure you are getting a minimum of 64oz of water everyday of your life.
4. Eat good proteins
- Proteins supply the building blocks of life, but you should try to get them without excess fat from meat.
- Look for leaner cuts of meat and eat turkey, chicken breast, seafood, eggs, nuts, dry beans and peas, and sunflower seeds.
- Meats aren’t the only source of protein and may not be the healthiest.
5. Eat less sodium
- All processed foods have enormous amounts of sodium added to them to ensure the longest shelf life possible.
- Look for foods that say no sodium, low sodium, reduced sodium, or no salt added.
- When you open canned vegetables always put them in a colander and run water over them to be sure you aren’t eating the excess salt used for storage.
Why Eating Healthy Is Important
- Eating a nutritious and well-balanced diet is the very core of good health and long life.
- Your body is designed to operate on high-quality proteins, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, water, and carbohydrates from real food. ( I’m sorry, but carbs from refined sugar and grains aren’t real food and they are unhealthy)
- If you and your family aren’t eating a well rounded diet on a regular basis you are likely to find yourself obese and in bad health sooner than later. Why not kick the junk food habit and ensure both yourself and your children the life you deserve.
Benefits of Eating Healthy
The way you eat and the food choices you make today determine the lifestyle you’ll live in the future. Eating well is paramount to maintaining good health for yourself, and your family.
Your best life today and the rest of your life depends on you staying fit and keeping your body sound to live free of disease and sickness.
- When you have healthy eating on your mind and eat high-quality foods at mealtimes you find sugar and white flour cravings disappearing from your life. Living in a world of dieting and ever-changing clothing sizes will also disappear with a nutritious diet.
- One reason for so much obesity in the U.S. is the constant diet of empty calories that have no way of satisfying hunger, or an urge to eat. As you include fresh vegetables, whole grains, fruits, and protein as a part of every meal it just won’t take as much food to satisfy your urge to eat, and you will see your body return to your best weight naturally.
- When you are eating the best foods on a regular basis you will feel better, find yourself dealing with less stress, and generally enjoy life more.
Freedom from disease
- We’re born with an immune system to fight off disease and sickness of any sort, but if you’re not making wise food choices your immune system gets sick itself, and lets down its guard.
- Life is better when you are thinking about the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals your body needs to fight off osteoporosis, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and the common sicknesses like flu and colds.
- Eating a steady diet of foods that supplies the needs of your body instead of your taste buds and emotions helps to avoid all sorts of health problems.
You’re aging every day, so think about the impact eating has on your life and it’s importance to both you and your family.
If eating healthy hasn’t been a priority in your life, you can get started today. You don’t need to change your lifestyle overnight, either. Just becoming aware of food choices and how they affect your health will begin to gradually change your habits.
You’ll see for yourself how much better you feel without so much sugar, from sodas and snacks. You will be exhilarated when you fit into your clothes again because you went from white flour to whole grains in your diet.
When this happens you won’t be able to keep yourself from being conscious of what goes onto the table, and into your mouth.
Being health-conscious is a choice you can make that will ensure that you enjoy the best life possible for as long as you are on earth.
What’s your take on eating healthy? Is it something you do, or think about doing?